Today's prompt....

It's your main character's wedding day and....

When the telephone rang, I was surprised to learn that it was Michael. Caught up with the many task ahead, he was the last person that I’d expected to hear from. The sound of his voice was different, nervous and low. Not his usual strong and confident tone that I loved so much. He said that he needed to talk to me and that he was on his way over. Before I could ask what it was in reference to, he had hung up the telephone. What could be so important with the wedding only five hours away? Was he having second thoughts? Did he regret asking me to be his wife? My mind was in a tailspin and I had no control over my thoughts. I immediately ran to the bathroom. To say that I felt butterflies would be an understatement. It was as if I’d eaten something spoiled and my stomach was in knots.

Before I realized it, he was ringing the doorbell. I knew it had to be serious because he did not use his key. And just before I let him in, I paused at the oval shaped mirror in the foyer to check my appearance. I wanted be sure to have on my happy face and not the "What could possibly ruin this day-face?" When I opened the door, he abruptly walked right pass me. No warm greeting, no hug and certainly no indication that this was the happiest day of his life.

"Baby, what is it?" I asked him. He could barely look at me when he turned and took me by the hand. He led me to the sofa; the one we spent countless hours on getting to know one another and later planning our wedding. Just after clearing his throat, he looked deep into my eyes and said, "I need to tell you something and there’s no easy way to say it." Before he could go on, I took a deep breath and told him that I loved him and that we were getting married in less than five hours. Nothing he could say would change that. He looked into my eyes and as a tear rolled down his cheek, he said, "I never got the divorce; Lisa and I are still married."