Keeping secrets....

Today's prompt -- While snooping around her daughter's computer, a mother finds that the girl has been chatting online with a much older man.

I knew that getting Kelly that computer was a big mistake. She is consumed with the Internet and she never comes out of her room. I blame myself for our lack of communication and still can't bring myself to tell her the truth about her dad. If she knew that he was still alive and just a plane ticket away, I'm sure she would have run away years ago. In my efforts to make up for his absence, I overworked myself at the office and under worked my role as her mom.

I know she's keeping secrets from me because we never say more than good morning and good night to one another. And although I make a conscience effort to ask about her day, the only response I ever get is, "I'm fine."

I'm so close to losing her and I don't know what to do about it. She'll be a senior next year and my infamous, "Because I'm your mother, that's why" will no longer work on her. She already has one foot out the door and if she and I didn't agree on anything else, we both agreed how important her education was.

When she leaves for school this morning, I'm going to surprise her by cleaning her room and doing her laundry. Whenever she had asked me to do it in the past, I would tell her in my very stern and motherly voice, "I won't always be around to pick up after you young lady."

It was just after eight, she was heading out the door to catch her bus and what happend next totally caught me off guard. She came over to me directly over to me and just as I was about to take a sip my green tea, she gave me the biggest hug ever along with a kiss on the cheek. Stuck in a trance, I simply didn't know how to take it and before I could reciprocate, she was out the door. Wow, I thought to myself, "How strange was that?"

Anyway, I went into her bedroom and as usual, it looked as if a cyclone had just hit it and the only thing left standing were her bed and her computer. She'd forgotten to turn it off and as I walked over to push the green power button, there was a picture of a man down on one knee still displayed across her monitor. He was holding a what appeared to be a heart shaped diamond engagement ring. And as I looked closer at the guy's face, I couldn't believe me fucking eyes, it was her dad. Under the photo was a message that said, "I can't wait to start our life together. You are a dream come true. I love you always.
P.S. Don't forget your passport."