In The End

I never got the chance to look into his eyes
I mean that moment when it feels as if no one else is in the room

I never got the chance to kiss his tender lips
The ones that spoke so sweetly and so profoundly

I never got the chance to touch his soft brown skin
To gently place my palm against the side of his face

I never got the chance to caress the small of his neck
That area just below his hair line and just above his back

I never got the chance to rest my head on his chest
To feel his heartbeat as we drifted off to sleep

I never got the chance to hold his hand
To reach for it as if we’ve done it time and time again

I never got the chance to sit on his lap
In public for all to see that, “Yeah, I’m his girl…”

I never got the chance to walk alongside him
To inspire, to encourage and to “Root for my man…”

I never got the chance to lay beside him
To watch him sleeping while thanking God for his safety

I never got the chance to interlock my legs with his
You know…that pretzel thing that couples do…

I never got the chance to speak softly in his ear and
Have the attention of those around us wondering what was said

I never got the chance to welcome him home at the end of his workday
To embrace him and show him that he was the King of our castle

I never got the chance to see him cry and to wipe away his tears
While trying to be strong wanting to take on all of his burdens

I never got the chance to laugh at his jokes in front of our families
Being the ones who stood fast in the midst of all adversity

I never got the chance to tell him I loved him…not at first
But eventually overtime…he’d captured my heart

However, in the end
I wasn’t supposed to…