Always There

where were you when my daddy left me
where were you when my parents divorced
where were you when he took my sisters
where were you when i lost my virginity
where were you when i was being abused
where were you when i cried and cried
where were you when i became pregnant
where were you when i felt so alone
where were you when he took advantage of me
where were you when i needed rescuing
where were you when i wanted to die
where were you when i needed my mother
where were you when i lost my best friend
where were you when he broke my heart
where were you when he broke my heart
where were you when he broke my heart
where were you when i was trying to hold on
where were you when i walked down the isle
where were you when i was praying to "someone"
where were you when my marriage ended
where were you when he crushed my heart
where were you when i was struggling to survive
where were you while i was stumbling in the dark

"My dear sweet child, you never called out to me.
I was always there, standing in the light."